Monday, July 25, 2011

Exn.Dr.M.B.Nirmal on solutions for Global warming



I first met Mr M B Nirmal many years ago when I was a freelance radio host on All India Radio's Madras B station in its Youth and English Language Broadcasting sections. He had just founded his organization, EXNORA at the time, and it received the enormous attention that it richly deserved - in a country where everything related to living in urban environments was falling apart at the seams, Mr Nirmal offered a simple, voluntary solution that appealed to many. I remember being impressed at the time - that said, I doubt that anyone guessed that this would become a movement that would inspire civic minded people and governments alike all over the world. Mr Nirmal worked for an Indian public sector bank back then, but he would soon leave it to pursue his personal dream of making Chennai, then an overburdened city, more livable. Over the years, I lost touch with him as I went to work in different parts of the world before eventually moving to the USA. However, he had become a powerful phenomenon and remains one of the most inspiring figures in India, to repeat a word that I have no substitute for. I would also hear about him from close family sources - my father was a Rotarian like he is, as is one of my cousins who worked with my father. And, another of my cousins was the Indian representative of a US based foundation that supports social entrepreneurs, and which found it worthwhile to support Mr Nirmal's work. And then, of course, there was the very positive focus from the media on him and his work for me to gain more news from.

It was by sheer chance that I was able to reconnect with Mr Nirmal via Facebook, some nine years after I had moved to the USA (and perhaps twenty five plus years after my brief interview on MAdras B) and it has been very positive resuming touch with him. It is the mark of a great person that he does not forget whoever he comes into contact with, and, it was a pleasant surprise to me that Mr Nirmal remembered me, my cousins and my father on the basis of a short two line message that I sent him! And, of course, it has been wonderful being in touch with him since, I am what I call an "Agmark Chennai-vasi," as I was born and raised in the city that Mr Nirmal works so hard to convert into a model for the rest of India and the world to follow! You never leave home, as the old saying goes, and though I have not been back in a long time, it has been wonderful getting good news and hearing about the progress of a great movement that started in a small way and that has visibly transformed everyone it has come in contact with in a positive way.

Mr Nirmal's organization, ExNoRa, has a very nice website which I would invite my readers to visit. There cannot be a better site to view from what is a "Clean India" blog. The video that I have linked to over here would show anyone who does not know Mr Nirmal and his work why he is such a wonderful inspiration to many to do good work in making the living environment in India better.

No comments:

Post a Comment